Welcome to Year 5
A very warm welcome to the Year 5 pages of our school website. Here you will find out about all of the exciting learning opportunities happening in our two Year 5 classes. We will also share key information and give guidance about our routines and expectations so that you can help your child to be ready for all of the learning and opportunities in Year 5. We are very much looking forward to getting to know your child and to working in partnership with you. .
Meet the team
Our Year 5 classes are named after two native British trees, Maple and Rowan.
Miss Evans is the class teacher in Maple class. Miss Bridson provides PPA cover on Wednesday morning.
Dr Hardwidge is the class teacher in Rowan class. Mrs Worsley provides PPA cover on a Wednesday morning.
Mrs Elford, Mrs Martin, Mrs Mair, Mrs Smith and Mrs Wood provide support.
We are always keen to share the children's learning journey with you. You can find regular updates both via our class pages below and on our Class Dojo pages. If you wish to speak to your child's class teacher, please do not hesitate to make an appointment via the school office or by messaging on Dojo.
Our Routines and Expectations
PE - Swimming - Tuesdays starting on 12th September
Class poetry journal to be given and returned - Monday
In the Autumn Term, we will be having Year 5 swimming lessons.
- Please ensure that your child comes to school wearing school uniform each day. This helps to foster a sense of pride and belonging to our school family and reflects the high standards we are striving to achieve for every child. Our uniform policy can be found in the Parent section of this website.
- Please ensure that your child comes to school wearing their PE kit on PE days.
- Children can bring their reading book, water bottle and lunch box to school in a small backpack. Please help us by reminding pupils that toys should not be brought into school.
- Children in Year 5 can bring a small pencil case to school that will fit easily in their drawer. This can contain a pencil, rubber, ruler, sharpener, coloured pencils and a glue stick. Felt tips, gel pens and calculators are not required.
Year 5 Long Term Planning
Please find attached a plan outlining the learning to take place across the whole of Year 5.
Knowledge Organisers and Science glossaries
For each new History and Geography unit, children will bring home their one-page ‘Knowledge Organiser’ - it contains some of the key knowledge and vocabulary that children will be learning as part of their work in class. The main idea is that they help the children gain a strong knowledge and understanding of their topic in order to help them know and remember more and start to make links between subjects and topics as well as previous learning. Please help your child to learn the information contained within the Knowledge Organiser through discussion, exploration and low-stakes quizzing for fun!
For each new Science topic, children will have a Science Glossary. This again helps them to learn specific vocabulary as well as making links to other learning. The vocabulary contained in the glossary will be key to their understanding of the processes and concepts of their topic.
Year 5 Homework
Our school Homework Policy can be found in Curriculum Policies
At Year 5, pupils are encouraged to spend up to 2 hours on homework each week.
This should consist of:
- Home reading, ideally a short burst daily but a minimum of four reads per week. This should be recorded by an adult in the Home Reading Record.
- Times Table practice – TTRS or using other websites or activities.
- Retrieval practice – various activities will be set by the teacher to help the children consolidate the learning that is happening in class. This may be related to different subjects and will include the use of the Knowledge organisers and Science Glossaries.
Websites and resources to support our learning
E-safety activities in the Cybercafe
A wide range of games and activities to remind you how to stay safe when using the internet and mobile phones.