Our Core Values
At the Whiteoak Academies of Hannah More Infants and Grove Juniors, our core values of Courage, Friendship, Belonging, Kindness and Resilience are at the heart of everything we do. These five values have been thoughtfully chosen after a vote by all members of our school family with the aim of promoting a whole school ethos which nurtures the highest standards and develops a shared understanding of human values with respect central to their meaning.
As a family of schools, our core values underpin our vivid vision and motto, ‘Planting Dreams. Nurturing Hearts. Growing Minds.’ in the hope that we build a strong, inclusive learning environment that supports and guides all children so that they can flourish socially, intellectually, emotionally, spiritually and morally.
Our core values are taught directly through assemblies and in lessons and permeate our whole school curriculum. Our wonderful staff team model these positive values and we encourage children to reflect and consider them, thereby developing the knowledge, skills and attitudes that empower them to lead happy lives and become humble, compassionate global citizens.
'You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.'
AA Milne in Winnie the Pooh
At the Whiteoak Academies, we support and encourage everyone in our family of schools to show courage by:
- Having a go, trying their hardest and trying new things.
- Trying the things they think they cannot do.
- Being honest.
- Saying sorry and doing what they can to make things better.
- Doing what they believe is right even when it is difficult.
- Showing respect to everyone they meet even if they disagree and believe different things.
'Courage is the most important of virtues, because without courage, you cannot practise any of the other virtues consistently.'
'Friends are like the walls of a house. Sometimes they hold you up, sometimes you lean on them, but sometimes it's enough to know they're just standing by.'
At the Whiteoak Academies, we support and encourage everyone in our family of schools to show friendship by:
- Respecting and trusting others.
- Listening to other people's thoughts and ideas.
- Sharing and considering fair compromise.
- Congratulating others and enjoying their success.
- Accepting people for who they are.
- Supporting and encouraging their friends in good times and bad.
- Accepting apologies and forgiving mistakes.
'I am glad you are here with me.'
JRR Tolkien, The Return of the King
'We may have different religions, different languages, different coloured skin, but we all belong to one human race.'
At the Whiteoak Academies, we support and encourage everyone in our family of schools to help promote a sense of belonging by:
- Accepting ourselves for who we are.
- Being the best we can be.
- Welcoming and valuing everyone and showing them they matter.
- Respecting and valuing everyone as an individual.
- Looking after our possessions and our equipment.
- Caring for our school, our world and our environment.
'Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.'
'In a world where you can be anything, BE KIND.'
At the Whiteoak Academies, we support and encourage everyone in our family of schools to show kindness by:
- Giving respect.
- Caring for others when they are upset or alone.
- Being helpful and giving.
- Being polite - saying please and thank you.
- Forgiving mistakes.
- Listening carefully.
- Sharing compliments.
'A listening ear and a kind word is sometimes all it takes...'
Marcus Rashford MBE
'Each morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most.'
At the Whiteoak Academies, we support and encourage everyone in our family of schools to demonstrate resilience by:
- Respecting themselves and showing confidence in their own strengths and abilities.
- Carrying on when they are faced with adversity.
- Reflecting on their efforts and recognising their achievements.
- Trying again.
- Learning from their mistakes and forgiving themselves.
- Being thankful for what they have and what they have achieved.
'I may not be there yet but I am closer than I was yesterday. One step can make all the difference.'